Sunday, April 21, 2013

Abel Girmay over at Destructooooooid has some coverage on Cloudberry. Cut to the good stuff:
Unlike Super Meat Boy, challenge isn't what the game is built around. The big draw of Cloudberry Kingdom is in its randomness; an algorithm that randomizes every facet of the game is the focus. So while the difficulty curves in the same way each time, the enemies, traps, power-ups, and more switch up. What's cool about this is that it really changes the way you play, especially in a competitive setting. Topping leaderboards, showing up friends, or even just outdoing yourself has little to do with the traditional tropes of pattern memorization, and all about how adaptive your reflexes are.
Finally someone that understands what we're aiming for!

It's like the rest of the world thinks we're just trying to making a hardcore platformer or something =D I wonder what could have possibly caused that misconception.

6 comments:

  1. I was almost starting to think the idea of it being a ridiculously hard platformer and nothing else was becoming more and more widespread. Those comments on some of your early videos demonstrating the concept of the game almost seemed flooded with that misconception.

    Good thing others like Destructoid and myself are able to understand this.

    Sure, I'll be playing this on masochistic when I get it since I'm strange like that, but in a few recent Skype calls, I've made sure people know that the difficulty can be changed to suit the player's skills and experience.

    Luckily, the majority of confusion should be gone soon, especially with a site like Destructoid clearing it up for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I think Destructoid and other sites will do a good job of clearing up the mis-representation that we brought on ourselves with our earlier hardcore trailers =P

    Thanks for helping fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious. Will cloud berry kingdom also be compatible with the wii U pro remote for friends? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We support the Wii U Pro, you bet =D Along with Wii Remotes and the Wii U Gamepad.

      Delete
  4. You guys, keep going with this! This is soon to be my favorite game! The moment I heard of this last March, I could tell that this was going to be great.

    Yeah. Keep up the good work! By the way, the art is REALLY nice.

    ReplyDelete